Sunday, June 6, 2010

First Impressions....

I am finally here in Calgary and I'm staying with a couple of friends from CY09, Dave and Vaike. :) Their place is a basement apartment with two bedrooms. It is really quite a quaint little place and I am grateful for their hospitality. The flight here was really good and the staff at WestJet is absolutely awesome. I did have an interesting time in the airport going trough security. They totally tore apart my one piece of carry on luggage like I was trying to take something on the plane that I should not have. They then proceeded to tell me that I could not take it on the plane, but instead I had to check it. LAME! I already had two pieces of luggage checked and it was going to cost me $75 to check a third. Once I explained the fact that I was moving to Calgary she waved the charge for me so I was able to check 3 bags. She was very nice. The flight staff were really nice too. The guy's name was Charlie and there were three lady flight attendants whom he called his angels. :P He was quite hilarious. I must say though, I do love to fly. Being above all of the clouds at approx. 38000 ft. and seeing them from above rather than below was beautiful. I had to take lots of pictures for my dad. He loves clouds. But overall, the best thing about the flight was when we were coming into land and seeing the Rockies in the distance. They were stunning from that distance so I can hardly wait to see them up close. Calgary is a huge city, though surprisingly not a whole lot of high rises or tall buildings, only in the downtown core. Dave and Vaike are going to take me on a tour of the downtown today so that I can get some bearing of where I am going. I had a fairly decent sleep last night, though I got chilly at one point. Which is easily fixable for tonight as there are blankets galore in this apartment. I still have very mixed feelings about all of this, but I'm sure those will dissipate over my time here.
Love all of you and miss you lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment